Wednesday 23 March 2011

Yeast beasts is action

First of all I would like to note that I was at a different lab group for this lab. My partners were Brady and Liam. In this lab we tested to find out what different effect pH levels would have on a reaction (specifically yeast and hydrogen peroxide). To do this we tested the reaction in a base (Antacid) a acid (Soda) and a neutral substance (water).


Acid reaction
In this reaction (pictured at the left) we used soda. As you can see by the huge drop in the beginning, we did not know we needed to hold the cap to prevent it from flying off. Luckily, we got it back on, and I held it on for the remainder of the experiments. This reaction was the greatest, with an end pressure of about 156.














Neutral reaction
For this reaction we used water. I'm not going to lie, this one was not very event full. The pressure went up a little, but not much. The end pressure for this reaction was about 106.










Base reaction
For this reaction we used Antacid. I will admit I made a mistake on this part of the lab. I accidentally click on the wrong button and started a new lab instead of clicking the collect button. As a result of that we had to redo this part. In the end it was the second biggest reaction, raising pressure to about 146.





- These are my diagrams from the lab. They are labeled according to what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment